Twitter is open to the World and saying anything secret or private can easily
lead you in trouble. Facebook is better in that case as the privacy settings can be used to control the information flow.
When Facebook came with the facility of status update and the timeline at the home page, all felt its becoming like Twitter. People have two alternatives to throw short thoughts, and they choose one of the two platforms to do it. Most people use Facebook and almost one-fourth of that number use Twitter as their primary network.
The main difference of people choosing one of the other is the approach to life. People who value relations, want to connect to old friends, and make new friends choose Facebook. Others who want to go to the open World, explore and find interesting people to en-friend them, find interesting updates happening in the World and propagate it, etc. use Twitter as their basic network.
The irony is that most people are using both of these networks, along with Orkut, Hi5, MySpace and many others. The problem they face is to divide time between these networks and remain at the top in each of these.
Here are my few suggestions to manage various Social Networks.
- Use Facebook for Friends — don’t make too many friends in Facebook but limit yourself to your private network. Keep it clean, don’t spam and do not tolerate other’s spam. Hide painful applications, and hide or un-friend irritating people. Use this for complete personal reasons; have fun and enjoy your friendship.
- Use LinkedIn for Business Use — Use LinkedIn to get business or business leads. It has genuine people using it, and the network is almost SPAM free. It is worth spending few business hours everyday in this professional network.
- Use Twitter for Competitors — Always keep in mind that best follower of your Twitter Id is your competitor. He will be watching your progress, weaknesses etc, and you should always have this face while Tweeting. Tweet in a way to make your competitor defensive.
- Use Youtube when you can — whenever you can build a video of anything interesting (may or may not be for business), do it. Spend sometime in learning from competitors videos, videos from gurus of your field etc. Make marketing videos and upload them in Youtube, and market it in various social networks and bookmarking sites.
- Use Orkut for Serious Discussions — It is useless to do any meaningful, long-life, good discussions in Twitter or Facebook. They simply die out in very short period of time. Use Orkut Communities for such discussions. I know few threads running several months in ‘International Relations’ community where folks from all of the World put their view in some burning issue (political, social or economical). It is simply fantastic.
- Let Buzz for the BOTs — There are very few people who actually follow Google Buzz. Simply post feeds of your blogs to Buzz, and let the BOTs from Google, Alexa and other companies crawl it. Do not waste time maintaining this Social Network.
- Hi5 and MySpace — if you have friends there, call them to Facebook, Orkut, LinkedIn or Twitter. Best way to manage these networks is to pull your complete network to the other more useful Social Networks. These networks are good for Music Lovers though. If you want to listen and share songs with your friends, you might need to stay on. Else move on.
I am not being biased towards any Social Network and promoting it. These are some of the learnings from my experience of using various networks for past many years.
Please drop your view on what you think is the best way to use these networks.