A travel agency is a retail business that sells travel related products and services to customers on behalf of suppliers such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways, sightseeing tours and package holidays that combine several products, according to Wikipedia.
These days most of the bookings of airlines, hotels, and railways are done online through travel agency websites. There are thousands of travel agents worldwide. Travel bookings are the single largest component of e-commerce, according to Forrester Research, a technology and market research company.
More or less all online travel agents offers similar kind of services, such as bookings of airlines (national and international flights), hotels, railways, bus, holiday and tour packages. There is no much differences between the services they offer, however we’ve compiled a Top 5 Online Travel Agents in India by observing their Alexa rank, Google page rank and number of fans on Facebook page.
There are several sites that provide this service, some are domestic companies and many are branches of MNCs. Some companies like Onthebeach also provide some of the services. If you are looking for late holidays, you can always go for companies like onthebeach and Mahindra Holidays but on a regular business or casual trips, these following companies fare better.
1. MakeMyTrip MakeMyTrip.com, is one of the India’s leading online travel company. It has launched its service in India in 2005. MakeMyTrip offered travelers the convenience of online travel bookings at rock-bottom prices. It offers various services such as booking of national/international flights, as well as booking of hotels, railways, bus, car, cruise etc. It also sells national and international holiday packages.
It has 241,776 fans on Facebook. It’s the 73rd most popular website in India according to Alexa. Its Google page rank is six.
2. Yatra Yatra.com is one of the India’s leading online travel company founded in August 2006. The company website provides information, pricing, availability, and booking facility for domestic and international air travel, railway reservation, hotel bookings, holiday packages, buses, and car rentals.
Based in Gurgaon, India, Yatra is a one-stop-shop for all travel-related services. A leading consolidator of travel products, Yatra.com provides reservation facility for more than 3,800 hotels across 336 cities in India and over 90,000 hotels around the world, according to company website.
According to Alexa, its the 89th most popular website in India. It has 81,916 fans on Facebook. Its Google page rank is six.
3. ClearTrip ClearTrip.com is the travel website with simple and clear design. It offers various services such as booking of national/international flights, as well as booking of hotels, railways, bus, car, cruise etc.
According to Alexa, it’s the 99th most popular website in India with Google page rank 6. It has 21,735 fans on Facebook.
4. Expedia Expedia, Inc. is the world’s leading online travel company and operates localized websites for travelers in the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China and India! It also offers various services such as booking of national/international flights, as well as booking of hotels, railways, bus, car, cruise etc.
According to Alexa, it’s the 819th most popular website in India with 6 as Google Page Rank. It has 1,110,558 fans on Facebook.
5. Travelocity Travelocity is a leading provider of consumer-direct travel services for the leisure and business traveler. It offers various services such as booking of national/international flights, as well as booking of hotels, railways, bus, car, cruise etc. They also sell national and international holiday package.
It has 101,214 fans on Facebook. It’s Google page rank is 5. It’s the 1612th most popular website in India, accroding to Alexa.
Meanwhile comSocre has published a list of the top travel sites in India. According to comScore 18.5 million online users visited a Travel site, an increase of 32% from the previous year. Indian Railways led as the most-visited Travel destination with 8.4 million visitors, an increase of 8% from the previous year. MakeMyTrip reached nearly 3.9 million visitors (up 63%) followed by Yatra Online with 3.5 million visitors (up 82%) and ClearTrip.com with more than 2.1 million visitors (up 80%). U.S.-based Expedia Inc. secured the #5 position with 1.8 million visitors (up 12%).