Apple has announced the launch of iTunes Store in 12 countries in Asia including Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. With Apple launching iTunes Store, in these smaller Asian markets, music lovers in India are left wondering why the technology giant has skipped the lucrative Indian market.
The iTunes store will feature an incredible collection of local and international music from all the major music labels and thousands of independent labels. Music lovers can find songs from local artists such as Jay Chou, Girls Generation, Andy Lau, and from international artists including Adele, The Beatles, and Jason Mraz.
Customers can also rent or purchase movies available in stunning HD, from major studios including 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, The Walt Disney Studios and Warner Bros from the iTunes Store. The iTunes Store joins the revolutionary App Store™ which offers more than 650,000 apps to consumers in 155 countries.
Meanwhile, Apple has also launched a dedicated Podcasts app for the iPhone and iPad. The new app is a way users can discover, subscribe to and play their favorite podcasts. They can watch video podcasts and listen to audio podcasts on different topics such as news, business, music, sports and from some of the ‘top stations’.
Here are some of the features of the Podcasts app, as listed by Apple in the App Store:
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices